*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Best Mother Son Wedding Dance Songs
Let’s face it-there are plenty of moments throughout your wedding that are just for the bride and groom.
You have the invitations, the ceremony, the guests, the reception venue- all these have been hand selected to reflect the unique personalities of the two lovebirds getting married.
But what about the other people who have made the wedding day possible? Have you considered other touching ways you can say thank you to those that love you most? This is where the Mother son dance song comes in.
A simple (yet oh so meaningful) way to add a really personal touch to your wedding day is by choosing a song the groom and mom can dance to at the reception. This is known as the Mother Son Wedding Dance. It will be even more spectacular when she finds out how much of an effort you have made in selecting the absolute best song purely for the two of you.
We know it’s not always easy coming up with ideas for showing your devotion to your mom. Add planning a wedding into the mix and it can become even more complicated. But thinking of a song for the two of you doesn’t have to be stressful. Think of it as a tiny way to say thank you for all of her help through the years.
Just as your relationship with your mom is unique, so too are the many, many types of mother son dance songs that you can choose from.
If your relationship is a little complicated -don’t worry. You can always pick a song that that is simple and doesn’t need a lot of explanation.
It might be just a song to the guests, but, to the mom, it’s an anthem of all the love she’s provided over the years. For the son, it’s a sweet way to tell her how much you appreciate her. It’s one last chance for her to dance with you before you turn all of your attention toward your bride.
Really this list of mother and son dance songs is appropriate for any of the special relationships in your life. Whether it’s your mother, step-mother, grandmother- it can be for anyone special you choose to share a dance with.
What Makes the Perfect Mother Son Dance Song
As you make your final selection for your mother son dance song, here are a few things to keep in mind:
First, you’ll want to decide what tempo of a song you are looking for. Do you want a slow dance or do you want something more upbeat, something that you can create a choreographed number around?
Secondly, think about what type of music you and your mother like best. Is there a particular style that really fits both of your personalities?
You can look to multiple genres of music for inspiration. Don’t feel like you have to pick something that matches the tone of the other songs you will have playing at your reception. This is your time to pick something just for the two of you.
Third, make sure you have read the lyrics thoroughly. You don’t want to accidentally have something played that might not accurately represent what you are trying to convey.
Lastly, you’ll want to pick the song well in advance so the two of you have time to practice your dance moves. Whether you decide to go the slow route or choose something with a faster tempo, you should try to do at least one run-through. Keep in mind while some songs have great lyrics and a fun beat, they can actually be really tough or awkward for a dance. You don’t want to add extra stress to you or your mom trying to figure out how to dance in front of lots of people. Keep it simple for you and your mom (unless you both have skills you want to show off!)
While the mother son wedding dance song may fluctuate in popularity over the years, if it’s something you want to include in your reception then here’s you’ll probably need a list of ideas to help make your selection a little easier.
The List of the Best Songs for Your Mother Son Dance
This list was created based on popular suggestions and reviews for different mother son wedding dance songs. As you read through this list of suggestions, try to imagine how special it will be for the two of you-oh and go ahead and grab a few tissues. There may be a few tears as the two of you work your way through the list.
You can choose something from the pop genre, contemporary, R&B, country, jazz, a Broadway musical- you get the idea. In today’s digital age, there are no shortage of options from which you can choose. To make it easier to digest, we’ve narrowed it down to four different categories.
Classic Songs for the Mother Son Dance
These songs are popular for a reason. In this list, you are sure to find something that both you and your mother will love to dance to. Whether you love all things retro or an oldie-but-goodie then here’s the best of these classic songs:
- All You Need is Love, by The Beatles
- Always on My Mind, by Willie Nelson
- Bridge Over Troubled Water, by Aretha Franklin or Simon & Garfunkel
- Child of Mine, by Carole King
- Dream a Little Dream of Me, by The Mamas and The Papas
- Forever Young, by Rod Stewart
- God Only Knows, by The Beach Boys
- Greatest Love of All, by Whitney Houston
- Have I Told You Lately, by Van Morrison
- Here Comes the Sun, by The Beatles
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You), by James Taylor
- I Say a Little Prayer, by Aretha Franklin
- I’ll be Here, by The Jackson 5
- In My Life, by The Beatles
- Isn’t She Lovely, by Stevie Wonder
- Just the Way You Are, by Billy Joel
- Maybe I’m Amazed, by Paul McCartney
- Mother and Child Reunion, by Paul Simon
- Oh How the Years Go By, by Vanessa Williams
- Oh, Mother of Mine, by The Temptations
- Simple Man, by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow, by Judy Garland
- Stand by Me, by Ben E. King
- Teach your Children, by Crosby, Stills and Nash
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, by Roberta Flack
- Three Times a Lady, by The Commodores
- Time After Time, by Cyndi Lauper
- Turn, Turn, Turn, by The Birds
- Unforgettable, by Nat King Cole
- Up Where We Belong, by Joe Cocker
- What a Wonderful World, by Louis Armstrong
- Wind Beneath My Wings, by Bette Midler
- You are the Sunshine of My Life, by Stevie Wonder
- You Light Up My Life, by Debbie Boone
Pop Songs for the Mother Son Dance
Maybe you lean towards something a little more current but don’t want to choose something too edgy. Here is a list of Pop Songs that can express your gratitude towards the special person who raised you:
- 93 Million Miles, by Jason Mraz
- A Song for Mama, by Boyz II Men
- Because You Loved Me, by Celine Dion
- Hero, by Mariah Carey
- I Turn to You, by Christina Aguilera
- I’ll Be, by Edwin McCain
- I’ll Stand by You, by The Pretenders
- Love Can Move Mountains, by Celine Dion
- Mama Said, by Lukas Graham
- Mama, by Spice Girls
- Wonderful Tonight, by Eric Clapton
- You Raise Me Up, by Josh Groban
- You’ll be in my Heart, by Phil Collins
- Your Song, by Elton John
Country Mother Son Dance Songs
Perhaps you want to go a different route and choose a country song for your dance with your mom. After all, if you both share a love of country music then you should absolutely share it with everyone. Here’s a list of the most popular country songs you can choose for the mother son dance:
- Angels, by Randy Travis
- Always on My Mind, by Willie Nelson
- Don’t Blink, by Kenny Chesney
- Do I Make You Proud, by Taylor Hicks
- I Hope You Dance, by Lee Ann Womack
- I Need You, by Leann Rimes
- Just to See You Smile, by Tim McGraw
- Letting Go, by Suzy Bogguss
- Mama’s Don’t Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys, by Waylon Jennings
- Mama’s Song, by Carrie Underwood
- Mother Like Mine, by The Band Perry
- My Wish, by Rascal Flatts
- Never Alone, by Lady Antebellum
- The Baby, by Blake Shelton
- The First Lady in My Life, by Paul Todd
- Then They Do, by Trace Adkins
- There You’ll Be, by Faith Hill
- Through the Years, by Kenny Rogers
- You Decorated My Life, by Kenny Rogers
Modern Mother Son Dance Songs
You want to show everyone just how cool you and your mom are. You are looking for something that represents what’s happening in music right now. Here’s a list of fresh and fun ideas for modern mother son dance songs:
- Dear Mama, by 2Pac
- Home, by Phillip Phillips
- God Made You Beautiful, by Beyoncé
- Hey Mama, by Kanye West
- Mom, by Meghan Trainor
- Sweetest Devotion, by Adele
- Thank You Mom, by Good Charlotte
Make Your Decision, Enjoy The Moment
With a little bit of planning, your mother son dance song will show everyone just how much the two of you care about one another. Don’t think of having to choose a song as another thing to do on your never-ending list of items for your wedding. Instead, remember this as a simple yet very meaningful way of showing your mom how much you care. So relax, pick a song, and remember to enjoy the dance that celebrates the uniqueness of your relationship.